Claims Process

We understand claims can be stressful. In order to make the process as easy as possible, we've provided a basic overview of our claims process below, giving you an outline of what you can expect at each step. We’ve also prepared some FAQs, to help you in the event of a claim.

If you have further questions, please contact the Claims team on 1300 655 001 (after hours, call 1800 811 285 ), or email us at

1. Submit a claim

The first step in the process is to tell us about your claim.

In general, you will need to have the following details on hand when submitting a claim:

  • Your policy or client number

  • The name of the insured on the policy

  • A detailed description of the incident

  • The date of the loss, and the address where the incident occurred

  • Any details of any other parties involved (if applicable)

  • For property claims, we will also ask for proof of purchase and evidence of value and ownership at the time of the claim. This could be a store or credit card receipt, user manuals for recently purchased electrical items, or even a receipt for repair of the item. We suggest you keep all receipts or valuations in a fireproof container or area.

  • For motor vehicle claims, we will ask you to obtain a quote from your preferred repairer and forward it to use for assessment.

If you have this information and are ready to submit your claim, visit the Make a Claim page.

2. Reviewing and processing your claim

Every claim is different, but our aim at all times is to process your claim as quickly as possible. You can speed up this process by providing as much information as possible when you make your claim. While some claims can be processed quickly, other more complex claims take longer to work through the details.

Once your claim has been lodged, one of our claims officers will be in contact within 5* business days to update you on the progress of your claim and take you through the next steps of the claims process. You will also be advised the following:

  • Your claim number
  • Whether any excess is applicable
  • Whether a loss adjuster or claims assessor is required, or to
  • Request any outstanding information required to finalise your claim
  • Whether a loss adjuster or claims assessor is required. 

For progress on your claim, or for any questions, please contact one of our Claims Officers on 1300 655 001.

* In the event of an extreme weather incident, timeframes may vary.

3. Organising emergency repairs – property and motor vehicle claims

Sometimes, emergency repairs are required. Emergency repairs can include:

  • Repairing broken glass,
  • drying carpet, and
  • any other repairs required to minimise your loss.

In the event of a damage claim, you have a duty of care to ensure the property is made safe. This can include cordoning off the damaged area, arranging temporary fencing etc.

If you're unsure about what safe repairs are required please call CCI on 1300 655 001, or for after-hours emergency claim assistance please call 1800 811 285.

Arranging repairs to your property

It is preferred you lodge a claim prior to arranging any repairs and/or replacements.

CCI has a preferred supplier network that offers quality goods and repairs from authorised businesses. Our supplier network is supportive of your needs and can arrange any necessary emergency repairs, for example, glass or car windscreens.

You are welcome to choose your own supplier providing you obtain a fair and reasonable written quote. Please note: this quote will need to be supplied for assessment before you engage your own supplier.

In certain circumstances, a cash settlement may be available. Please contact the claims department to discuss your options*.

*CCI will determine settlements are based on a Fair & Reasonable costing. This will be based on, but not limited to Industry Practices, Industry Rates, Assessor/Loss Adjuster recommendations.

FAQ’s regarding CCI's Claims process

This depends on the complexity of your claim. Sometimes it is necessary to appoint a loss adjuster to assist with processing your claim. You will be advised when you lodge your claim if this is the case.

In the event of a motor vehicle claim, a qualified assessor will assess the damage to your vehicle.

Please call 1300 655 001 or or email: to enquire about the progress of your claim.

When settling claims, we may choose to reinstate, replace or repair any damaged item, or pay what it would have cost us to do so.

An excess is the out-of-pocket amount you have to pay when making a claim with CCI. This may be either payable directly to CCI as an out of pocket expense or deducted from any settlement you receive. Depending on the circumstances of your claim, you may be required to pay more than one excess.

If you are a GST registered business, we are entitled to reduce any benefits payable under your policy by any ITC/GST that you may be entitled to under the GST Act.

Once the premium has been paid, CCI will issue a tax invoice to you to support your claim for an ITC.

When we receive a claim, we attempt to collect a full incident description from all parties involved in the accident, as well as any witnesses who may be available.

It is preferred you lodge your claim with any photos or measurements of the damages prior to arranging any repairs or replacements. CCI can arrange repairs and replacements from our preferred supplier network.  This network offers quality goods and repairs from authorised businesses throughout Australia.

You may also choose your own supplier provided you obtain a fair and reasonable written quote.

Please note: This quote will need to be supplied for assessment before you engage your own supplier.

For full detail about Student Care insurance, please visit the Student Care information page or download the Student Care Information Sheet.

A. Non Medicare Medical Expenses

CCI is a non-Medicare medical insurer. In most cases, the policy will provide cover for items such as;

  • Physiotherapy
  • Private hospital accommodation & theatre fees
  • Chiropractor
  • Dental
  • Ambulance
  • Massage
  • Hydrotherapy
  • Podiatry
  • And some MRI's and ancillary benefits

B. Medicare Gap

The policy excludes cover for medical expenses for which a Medicare benefit is available. It is also important to note that general insurers, including Catholic Church Insurance, are prohibited under section 126 of the Health Insurance Act 1973 from paying for a service for which a Medicare rebate is available, including the Medicare Gap.

The Medicare Gap is the difference between the scheduled Medicare benefit and the amount actually charged by the provider. Services provided by a Doctor, Surgeon, Anaesthetist, Pathologist and Radiologist that have a Medicare Item Number are not covered under the Student Care policy.

Incidents that occurred many years ago can lead to a liability claim. When somebody is injury or a third party’s property is damaged, you should keep detailed records and incident reports. If a liability claim is made, these documents may be the best way to prove what happened, locate witnesses and respond to allegations made years after an event. To help with this process, you can notify CCI of an incident that may result in a claim.

Need to make a personal insurance claim?