Student Care FAQ's

​Student Care FAQ's

Frequently Asked Questions regarding Student Care claims

For CCI to proceed with your claim, we require documentation confirming the injury sustained. This can be a Medical Certificate from a Medical Practitioner, Radiology Report, or Hospital Discharge letter/summary. This helps us to determine your eligibility for a Student Care claim payment.

Please Note: A legally qualified Medical Practitioner includes a General Practitioner, a specialist such as an Orthopaedic Surgeon, Psychiatrist, or a Dentist

We can pay non-Medicare medical expenses, such as:

  • Ambulance (claimable if nil ambulance cover available)
  • Chiropractor
  • Dental
  • Hydrotherapy
  • Remedial Massage
  • MRI's with nil Medicare Rebate attached
  • Physiotherapy
  • Podiatry
  • Private hospital accommodation and theatre fees (pending review of itemised invoices)
  • Hospital excess

If you choose to claim from your private health insurer, CCI can pay the difference (if any) between the amount paid by the private health insurer and the amount you paid for the non-Medicare medical service. We can reimburse this expense as long as there isn't a Medicare component of the service.

The policy excludes cover for medical expenses for which a Medicare benefit is available. It is also important to note that general insurers, including Catholic Church Insurance, are prohibited under section 126 of the Health Insurance Act 1973 from paying for a service for which a Medicare rebate is available, including the Medicare Gap.

The Medicare Gap is the difference between the scheduled Medicare benefit and the amount actually charged by the provider. Services provided by a Doctor, Surgeon, Anaesthetist, Pathologist and Radiologist that have a Medicare Item Number are not covered under the Student Care policy.

For more information about whether your expense is eligible, please visit the Medicare Benefits Schedule website.

No. CCI should be advised once an incident occurs. Once we have received your claim form, we will review the information provided and CCI will forward an acknowledgement email advising you of the next steps. Any future documentation with regards to this claim can be forwarded to us quoting the previously provided claim number.

We can reimburse this expense as long as there isn't a Medicare component of the service. We can pay your gap for dental, physiotherapy, chiropractic and any other non-Medicare related treatment for which you have claimed through your private health insurer.

Please ensure the invoices have the following details included:

  • Must be a valid invoice
  • Include provider ABN and Service Provider number
  • Date of service
  • Item code
  • Description
  • Amount/Hi Caps if applied

Yes. Although we can only pay for costs relating to an injury your child has sustained as a result of an accident.

We're not able to pay for emergency transport in the event of illness, known illness, or a pre-existing condition where emergency transport was used to treat or transport your child.

For example:

  • A asthma attack
  • Allergic reaction
  • Breathing difficulties

CCI's Student Care policy is only for injuries sustained as a result of an accident when participating in a school related activity or the incident is known to the school.

There are no time limits on medical/dental expenses. We provide payment of dental treatment for the relevant damaged teeth up to an amount of $7,500 as per the policy limit available. If the claim is finalised after 3+ months of nil invoices received with a balance remaining, and your child requires further treatment. We would require an updated Dental Certificate to confirm the treatment required relates to the original incident. Once on file the claim will be reopened, and any Non-Medicare related costs will be reimbursed up to the policy limit available.

It is something that is considered under the policy in the instance your child has had 5 consecutive days in a row off school and require a tutor/personal tuition up to the limit of $2,500.

If the person who pays the nominated student's school fees dies as a result of an accident, we will pay the nominated student's school fees. Please note, school fee relief cannot exceed $15,000.

Certain types of injuries may qualify for a separate lump sum benefit payment under the Student Care Policy. In order for us to make this determination, we will require a Medical Certificate from your treating doctor or a copy of the Radiology Report/Hospital Discharge Summary detailing the nature, extent and treatment of the injury received when you make a claim.

Please refer to the "Table of Benefits" within the Student Care policy for lump sum benefit amounts.

Call 1300 655 001 to obtain a copy of the policy or for more information.

SchoolCare Help

Contact us for more information